“Can you get strep throat without tonsils” is a question that many people wonder. Most of the people claim that no tonsils mean no capability of getting strep throat. Whether it is true or not? To find it out, read the following article.
#1. What are tonsils? When do you need cut off tonsils?
Tonsils are a small but important part of the body. In the body’s constitution, the tonsils are located at the back of the throat, where it is thought to be the intersection of the gastrointestinal tract.
Like any other part, tonsils have its own functions. In particular, the main function of the tonsils is where the production of natural antibodies against infection in order to protect the human body. In addition, tonsils are the first defense system of the immune system in the body. The function of the tonsils is to prevent the bacteria, the virus from entering the body through the respiratory system.
When the tonsils are inflamed several times, this function will be reduced, greatly affecting the health of patients. To some extents, cutting off tonsils is necessary.
#2. Can you get strep throat without tonsils?
It can be said that tonsils are the parts that are affected strongly and directly when getting strep throat. Does that mean no tonsils, no capability of strep throat? Not really. According to the doctor, you can still have a strep throat without tonsils.
In the fact, tonsillectomy makes it successful to reduce throat infections. It means that tonsillectomy most definitely doesn’t protect in a long-term from throat infections, especially strep throat. All the process offers is a lowered capability of getting strep throat.
What are the reasons for that?
In the past, you cut tonsils but throat pain still recurring, this is a symptom of strep throat due to sinusitis or reflux gastritis.
When sinusitis occurs, nasal inflammation contains many germs that drain down the throat, and the strep throat recurs. They can complicate in the bronchial tubes or into the lungs. When you take medicines, it can cause increased gastric secretion resulting in reflux to the throat.
Another possible reason is that because the tonsils have not been completely cut off, the remaining tonsils syndrome continues to cause inflammation.
#3. How to cure the strep throat without tonsils?
It’s too tired when the patients who get strep throat without tonsils keep sneezing, runny nose or a cough. Some of the people claim “let ignore it, then you can recover”. However, this symptom which seems normal makes the patient a lot of inconveniences. So, here are some steps to cure the strep throat without tonsils.
Step 1: Visit a medical facility with a specialist in otolaryngology and internal medicine to diagnose the condition of the nose, sinuses, throat, stomach, using diagnostic aids such as TMH, gastroscopy, XQ, CT scan … (if needed).
Step 2: Actively treat current conditions, with some of the drugs such as antibiotics against infections, anti-allergy medications, diluted mucus… Surgery if indicated as sinus nasal polyps, sinusitis.
Step 3: Preventive treatment. In addition to using medications or other therapeutic approaches, patients who get strep throat without tonsils should also be aware of some of the following nutritional and lifestyle issues:
- Eating more nutritious food for the body, going away from foods which cause allergies to the body.
- Avoiding hot, cold fluctuations, wearing masks regularly when going out to avoid smoke, dust.
- Keeping the house clean and airy, avoiding the raising of animals such as dogs, cats, and birds. The hair of which have a bad effect on your health.
- Regular sports make a good physical strength which also supports the recovery from the disease.
- If you have allergic rhinitis: Spray the drug to reduce allergic reactions every day.
Also, you can try these home remedies to make yourself more comfortable:
- Suck on your throat lozenges. It is a solution to calm any irritation happening on your throat.
- Get plenty of sleep. Instead of more tiredness, as many said, extra rest can make a more rapid recovery.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated. It doubles your risk of dehydration when strep throats reduce your fluid intake and fluid loss can occur when you have a fever.
- A fluid which needs avoiding is coffee, which often makes the water loss. Additionally, you ought to keep away from acidic beverages such as orange juice, lemonade.
- Instead of drinking cold fluids which numbing your throat, you should drink warm ones (tea or soup) to soothe your vulnerable throat.
- A good advice for those who get strep throat without tonsils is gargling a cup of a half-salt-teaspoon water to ease some of the pain in the throat by flushing out the bacteria.
Answering the question “Can you get strep throat without tonsils” becomes easier thanks to some information above. Let protect your health well to have a good life.